Running For Fun And For Health
matter what your age or ability, anyone who wants to can start running for
fitness. It does not appeal to everyone, but it does not take a lot of special
equipment or know how to do. Running is a great way to improve your
cardiovascular health as well as helping you to maintain a healthy weight. You
can run a lot or a little. You can run inside or out. You can go running with
other people or by yourself. Here are some tips to get you started:
1. Talk to a doctor or another qualified health professional before you start
any type of running program. They will be able to help you assess your current
fitness level and will give you guidelines for how much to exercise and
nutrition advice as well.
clothing and shoes will be really your most important running equipment. But,
you don’t necessarily have to go out and buy all new stuff once you start to
run. Clothing should be appropriate for the weather and climate if you are
going to run outside. Your shoes should be comfortable and fit well. Once you
start to run for longer distances you may want to purchase some better quality
shoes with advice from a specialty running shoe store.
3. Warm up before you start to run. This will get your body ready for the
increased activity and will help to limit injuries. Stretch your calves and
thigh muscles and walk briskly to get your heart rate up.
4. In the beginning you can alternate walking briskly and running for short
distances to get accustomed to the activity. If you are new to exercise, you
should probably only go for 10 to 20 minutes for the first few times out.
5. Set goals that are reasonable. If you want to do a 5K run, then set little
more manageable goals that you can do to reach your big goal. If you are too
ambitious in your start, you may burn out too quickly and not reach your goal.
6. Cool down at the end of your run. Stretch again and walk slowly. This will
help to keep you from getting sore muscles and limit injury as well as
7. Eat right. Give your body good nutritious fuel to work with. Use a calorie
calculator online to find out how much you will need for weight management or